Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dark Knight "Taking it to the Bank"



From what I here the opening scene for the "Dark Knight" is a bank heist at Gotham National Bank but it seems like it is the caped crusader who is running away with the cash.


The midnight shows at 1400+ theaters across North America were selling out faster then tickets could be printed, so they added a 3am showing and that too sold out, once again a 6am showing was added. This move seems to have paid off because an $18 Million dollar score was made.


Now, on the official starting day of Friday, July 18th (regular theater opening time) really showed what this movie was worth, early reports show that as of Saturday morning this movie had pulled in about $55+ Million dollars, not including the $18 Million from early morning shows.


Now this kind of hype has really made me want to put in the effort to go to the theater, fight for parking, walk a few blocks, stand in a line for the tickets...praying it doesn't sell out, then stand in another line for an hour (basically taking 2-3 hours of my life) just to support this film so that hopefully it also breaks the opening weekend box office total.


The current Top 5 "All time box office opening weekends" are:


Spider Man 3 - $ 151.1 Million



Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest



Shrek the Third



Spider Man



Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End




Giving Sony 2 movies (Spider Man) and Jerry Bruckheimer Films 2 movies (Pirates) in the top five, and now along comes Warner Bros. with the help of Christopher and Jonathan Nolan to maybe putting them on the top of the list. Keep in mind that Spider Man 3 opening night made $59.8 Million, that's a $10.6 Mill. difference!



For once critics and audience seem to be on the same page. Reviews from Rotten Tomatoes, IGN which are 2 of the biggest review sites for movies (having real by the book critics), to Spill.com that has more of an audience point of view (personally my favorite), have all been saying the same thing "this years best movies".



Now that I sit back and look at the blog I have written my curiousity is killing me. I think I really need to see this movie today! So with that said...I shall return to write my review hopefully tomorrow, and I will do my best to not give anything away.





















***UPDATE***

July 20th

The Bat has topped Spidey, taking in appox. $155.4 Million for the weekend! Congrats to WB, the Nolan's and especially Heath.





Spidey get his ass handed to him

No comments: